Thursday, January 22, 2009

Observational Learning Report

Once I knew about this assignment of observing a teacher I began to really notice how my teachers presented their material and what strategies they used. I really paid attention to what I liked and what I didn’t like. I also tried to notice what classes I was more likely to participate in and which classes I was more likely to sit in the back quietly. As the week went on I realized that I really enjoyed one certain teacher’s strategies and style of teaching.

This class starts at 7:30 A.M. So as we all walk into class, this teacher has an extra duty to wake us up and get us excited and actively participating. I feel like she does such a great job in this. When we walk into class the day’s schedule is written up on the board. It is organized chronologically as well as including different symbols. There is a symbol that means “definition” and one for “A activities.” (I like that the symbols are on the board so we know where to record them in our notes. It keeps us so organized.) So when we look at the board we know when we’re going to do an activity, learn a definition, watch a video, or anything else that we will do that day. I think this is such a great strategy because it helps both the teacher and the students to know exactly what to expect.

Another great teaching strategy this professor does in general is keeping us actively engaged. We are always doing hands on activities, moving around, playing games, using props, media, and a variety of ways to learn the material. I learn the material way better if I am applying it in some way rather than simply being lectured to. For children especially this is so important. I also enjoy class so much more when I am involved in the learning.

The class is about multicultural education, especially English Language Learners (ELL). I don’t know much about this topic and I really enjoy the way the information is presented to us in so many forms. We do activities, listen to lectures, read articles, listen to radio clips, watch movie clips, have class discussions, talk about different scenarios, answer each other’s questions, and the list goes on. I think this variety is such a good way to present the material. As a teacher presenting this material or any other class, I feel that it is such a good idea to teach using such diversity.

1 comment:

  1. OK, now I've heard about this teacher from a number of you; I think I need to go and be a fly on the wall some day. Sounds like she's done a really good job both of engaging you in democratic learning, while simultaneously using good classroom management techniques.

    ReplyDelete