Thursday, April 9, 2009

YOGA


This semester we were asked to spend ten hours or more acquiring a new skill or trying something we had never tried before. Some of my friends do yoga and love it and I was interested in it as well. I had never tried it, or even really knew what it was like. So for my ten hour project I decided to take a yoga class here on campus. It was every Tuesday and Thursday nights as well as Saturday morning.

Yoga (Sanskrit, Pāli: योग, IAST: yóga, IPA: [joːgə]) refers to traditional physical and mental disciplines originating in India.[1] The word is associated with meditative practices in both Buddhism and Hinduism.[2][3] The goal of yoga may range from improving health to achieving Moksha. In Indian religions, Moksha (Sanskrit: मोक्ष mokṣa) or Mukti (Sanskrit: मुक्ति), literally "release" (both from a root muc "to let loose, let go"), is the liberation from samsara, the cycle of death and rebirth or reincarnation and all of the suffering and limitation of worldly existence (Wikipedia).


In the beginning my main reasons for doing yoga were first to be healthy, and second because I was curious about it. As the weeks went on I found that it truly was a source of release and an excellent way to find peace after a long day. I would go to yoga right after 6 hours of class and it would be so soothing. It pushed my physically in realms I’ve never been pushed in before. It also confirmed my belief that I’m quite possibly one of the least flexible people out there. The more I let myself go and really was engaged the more I got out of each session. At the beginning I thought that the breathing and things were not quite so necessary. However, after trying everything the best I could, I really improved. I loved the class and found that I really enjoy yoga. I in no means stopped after 10 hours and will continue to do yoga in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this experience (and the one you shared the other day, too ;). I'm glad you were able to find something that you enjoy. I had to do a bit of yoga for a voice and diction class and ended up loving the breathing exercises. Even though this was our 4th child, my wife and I took a Lamaze class for the first time and all the breathing activities were really just like the breathing you do in yoga. My wife believes this is what helped her stop the baby from coming out before I came back into the house.

    BTW, I don't see a learning log for you.

    ReplyDelete